Saturday, February 5, 2011

An Open Letter to Senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa


Finally someone on the national stage has picked up on the issue of transparency and 501c tax-exemption for churches, as the article "God Knows, but the IRS doesn't" written in The Economist reported.

I wrote a letter to Senator Grassley just now expressing my support.  If you're like me and expect honesty and transparency from anyone calling themselves a "church", and maybe see a few billion dollars of unaccounted money do some work for the American public in dire times, contact Senator Grassley and back him up.

Dear Senator Grassley-
I just read a small blurb in The Economist on your efforts to require more transparency and accountability to the public for 501c organizations classified as churches.  This has long been a very high point of frustration for me, and I am thrilled to see someone tackling this very obvious issue, especially in the current economic climate. 
Although I am not a constituent of yours, I want to applaud this effort and signal my support on a national level.  I do not understand why any organization which is subsidized by our public funds (effectively via tax exemption) is allowed to keep their books private.  
As a business owner and operator myself, having created hundreds of jobs in the state of Colorado, I see far too many examples of churches large and small operating very much like businesses, developing significant land holdings and commercial venture investments.  Without having to pay taxes, private sector businesses like mine that are playing by the rules are left at an economic disadvantage. 
While the aim of the majority of churches is undoubtedly humanitarian, not having transparency and public accountability in finances opens the door for corrupted and opportunistic individuals to seize control and abuse the system.
The financial reserves of our country's largest religious institutions are not insignificant.  
I personally believe a greater degree of transparency would motivate these organizations to do more for the people who really need it, and expose those organizations that are using this system for dishonest purposes counter to the public welfare. 
It raises serious concerns to me as a private business owner and a taxpaying citizen that tax-free churches may be uncomfortable with the public (and their own members) knowing how they spend their money. 
After all, if you are a legitimate church with humanitarian goals, what do you have to hide about how you spend your money?  
Again , thank you for spearheading this initiative and count this citizen behind you. 
Sincerely, 
Ryan Seabury

No comments:

Post a Comment