Tuesday, January 4, 2011

I just want to show random photos with random music

Why is it that still nobody (and I'm looking at the big media boys, MS, Apple, Google) has figured out that all I want to do on my tv and sound system is cycle through the photos of my choice (as in randomly through 10s of thousands) while playing the music of my choice.  Apple TV can kind of do it, but is clunky in prioritizing either the music list or photo set (can't really do both at the same time easily even with iPad remote).  Google TV, at least the logitech revue, pretty much sucks for this.  MS with xbox and media center has been a stagnant cesspool of clunky UI for years (wtf? Windows Home Server doesn't integrate well with media center OR DLNA? what do you think people are using this for MS?).

BTW, thanks Comcast and Motorola and probably the MPAA for HDCP on my DVR that prevents more than 2 downstream HDMI connections from working with the TV signal.  i.e. my logitech revue has to be hooked up on a separate HDMI input straight to the TV with audio on SPDIF, kind of defeating the purpose of a unifying technology when I now have to switch inputs on my TV to go from anything else.  What the hell is the logic in that anyway?  If I really want to copy the HD signal, won't I just plug it in directly to my capture setup if I have to?

Before any net nerds start telling me about their favorite home brew shit, can it.  I'm over 30, have 3 kids and a career, I don't have time to muck around with any linuxy opensourcey bullshit in my free time.  I want a giant corporation to soothe my soul with their seamless execution of the 21st century family vacation slideshow in a tiny little box that makes comforting beeps when I point at it.

Ahhhh.... now that's what blogging is for!  Useless ranting to the great void of the internet who could care less, but you know... I feel a little bit better!

No comments:

Post a Comment